Monday, May 30, 2005

DVD Meme

Can you believe it? Two posts in a row! But I just noticed I got my first tag, so I had to hop to. Thanks, Noelle!!

DVD Meme

1. Total number of films I own on DVD or video:

Probably 5, definitely less than 10. I rarely find movies that I would want to watch over and over again, so we own the ones that I would.

2. The last film I bought:

I got Tim the first season of SCTV for his birthday. That's not a film, but it was on DVD, does that count? "Five Neat Guys" kills me. When you watch, you can see Joe Flaherty is playing drunk and he's just a little bit off step with the other guys. HILARIOUS.

3. The last film I watched:

We went downtown and saw Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. I humored Tim. It was okay, people. I just wish that Lucas would let go just a little bit and use some of those billions he's got to hire his damn self a scriptwriter. Good actors reduced to cardboard. And, I'm sorry, but Hayden is Horrible. Did you see Shattered Glass? Terrible film, even with the fabulous Peter Sarsgaard.


4. Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):

Garden State. I love this movie. When I saw it last year, I was thinking about the theme of this movie anyway--the idea that you create your own sense of home and family. In your twenties, you don't fit in in the house you grew up in, or the neighborhood or sometimes even with the friends you had in high school, so you spend your twenties (at least I have) trying to create a new place where you belong, where you can be who you really are and be accepted for that person. Natalie Portman is so cute and amazing, and Zach Braff, performing the amazing trifecta of writer, director and star, blows me away. Zach is my boyfriend, by the way. I love him none too secretly.

The Graduate. I saw this for the first time when I took a film class with the amazing Peter Mascuch at UNH. It was the first time that I saw the artistry that went into making a film, not just the performances of the actors. The way Nichols sets up his shots...he's brilliant anyway, but this was the film that won me over. I wrote a paper arguing that The Graduate is a modern day western, and compared it to a very traditional western, Stagecoach I think. It is too--the outcast, trying to save the day and get the girl--his horse is that sexy red convertible he drives over the bridge in that one great long shot. Anyway, Peter called me into his office and said, "What the hell? There is no way that The Graduate is a western!" and I was all scared that he was mad or was going to fail me or whatever my 19 year old self thought, but he told me that he had never thought of it that way, and that I argued my point very well, and he could see it if he looked at it that way, but I was still wrong and crazy. He gave me an A.

The Anchorman. Will Ferrell can just stand there and I will laugh. This movie is my current favorite funny movie, and one of the five DVD's we own. It is sublimely riduculous.

When Harry Met Sally. I can watch this movie again and again and still enjoy it. Billy Crystal ruined me for boyfriends for a while. And this is Meg at her finest. All those other romantic comedies she did are just trying to recapture the magic of this movie.

Amelie. A Perfect Film. Hands down, probably my favorite of all time. This is my desert island movie. The combination of adorable story, quirky humor, and beautiful cinematography-- cinematic bliss. We own this one, too.

5. Tag five people and have them put this in their journal:

Yipes, I don't think I know 5 bloggers well enough to tag them. I'd have Alyssa do it, but the bitch doesn't blog. Something about too busy or something. Well, if you read this and want to do it, I'd love to read about it. Otherwise, it was fun to do, so there you go.

2 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, May 30, 2005, Blogger renee said...

So funny! I just watched Shattered Glass and I agree - Hayden Christensen is horrible!! I had read he was good in that movie and I couldn't disagree more. I thought in Sith he had the glaring scowl down pretty well, but otherwise he was awful. Of course, that's right in the tradition of his "son", Mark Hamill.

Welcome (almost) to St. Paul, by the way!

 
At 7:18 PM, May 30, 2005, Blogger littlehedgehog said...

I haven't seen Garden State but I've heard great things about it! This means I have to actually mail dvds back to netflix.

I love Amelie too! What a lovely sweet movie.

I think I watched Episode 1 once. But I only made it about fifteen minutes into Ep 2 before I had to turn it off. The dialogue was so bad I thought my ears would start bleeding. These movies feel like an insult to my childhood love of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. And Lucas' unending ability to license his creations to anyone willing to hand him a dollar.

Thanks for doing the meme! They're so fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home