Saturday, April 16, 2005

Belize and Lilacs

I've been holding out on you. For the past two weeks I've been knitting a secret present for my mom, and I couldn't post about it because she reads my blog (hi, Mom!!). But I gave it to her today, so I can finally talk about it.



It's my Belize tank top. Mom is taking a trip to Belize at the end of the month to visit her best friend who is in the Peace Corps there, so I decided to make her something she could wear down there. The pattern is an amalgamation of patterns from Vogue Knitting and Creative Knitting magazines, with a little of my own creativity thrown in. I even knit a gauge swatch, people. It's made from Cascade Yarns Pima Tencel, at 5 1/2 sts per inch on US5's. The yarn is deliciously soft, and very nice to work with, my only caveat being the shedding. I have bits of green everywhere. I'm thinking that will be improved with a washing. I *love* how it came out--I just hope it fits.
Here's an in-progress shot:



and a lacy stitch detail:



On weather news, last week's snow barely lasted that day, and we had GORGEOUS weather all week--almost 80 yesterday. Today we had huge thunderstorms and as we were driving home we saw a thin funnel cloud off to the south!! Yikes! I'm telling ya, I think Albuquerque is giving me quite a send off--throwing all potential weather patterns at me, all in one week.

But the best part of last week? The first Lilacs...

click to make it big!

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, April 17, 2005, Blogger littlehedgehog said...

We got some scary hail over here! Glad we haven't fixed the roof from the hailstorms last fall. That sweater is beautiful! I know how it goes with posting pics of presents for people who read the blog. I asked my sister if she wanted to see pics or be surprised when she opened it in the mail before I posted about the shawl. Oh! Speaking of mail your surprise came in yesterday!

 
At 1:38 PM, April 17, 2005, Anonymous Michelle said...

That is one lovely tank! Please take a picture of your mom wearing it, so we can see it in action! It's really beautiful work! Thumbs up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home