Sunday, March 27, 2005

A Woman Possessed

That was me yesterday. I am starting to freak out a little bit about moving. We only have two months, people!! And we have a whole house full of crap. So I've started to go through our stuff and throw out and pare down. Just the essentials and the can't-live-withouts. This is what the craft room looked like in the eye of the storm:



I didn't think I had this much yarn. Not until it was all together and in 3 18-gallon rubbermaid containers, 6 15-qt storage bins, and one shoebox size container. But that is seriously all of it. I have things I've forgotten about--like 10 balls of gorgeous-red Debbie Bliss Cashmerino. But I was good too. I got rid of some bad knitting magazines (the title of which shall remain nameless, but wouldn't you think that if your name included a certain attribute, say creativity, that maybe your designs would portray said attribute? and not totally suck? I'm just sayin'...) and some doubles of needles that I bought before I knew what good needles were.

Speaking of needles, I was crying last night. As part of the cleaning spree, I organized my needles and put them all back in their little envelopes or in their special little needle cases. As I was going through my DPN needle case, I noticed a set of #7 DPN's in their little slot. Which was odd, because I was using those for the Turtleneck Shrug. Or so I thought. Nope, I was using my #5's, which are the same brand and have no distinguishing marks other than the size. You would think that after all of my years of knitting, I would go by something more than "those are the right color, those must be the #7's." For cripe's sake. I had been knitting all week, ribbing in the round, on dpn's, for 20 inches, WITH THE WRONG SIZE NEEDLE. So before all the ripping, let's have a moment of silence for the first Big Bonehead Moment of 2005 here at Strawberry Knits (with a nod to the Skinny Rabbit, who has bonehead moments, but still produces some of the best knitting out there).



Today's lesson: check your needle size twice, knit once. Adieu, too small sleeve.

2 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, March 28, 2005, Anonymous Jen said...

Oh no! That's a total throw the knitting across the room in disgust sort of a moment! But hooray - it was spotted before you got any further!

 
At 1:56 PM, March 30, 2005, Blogger Criosa said...

Two months! Oh, you're lucky! when we moved last year, we had ONE month to pick the mover, find an apartment, etc etc. (thankfully the U has a nice discount or whatever on the mover/packer people) - we didn't get confirmed on the apartment until the week before the movers came to pack us up! talk about stress!

that totally sucks about using the wrong sized needles! I haven't done that - yet (I'm sure I'll have a bone-headed moment soon though! lol)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home