Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Yarn, Secret Pals (yay!) and Water

Look what came in the mail for me yesterday:




Three lovely skeins of Douceur et Soie in Pimento! So soft, so delicious, and so thanks to my Secret Pal!!! She got me a gift certificate to Herrschners, where I happily couldn't make up my mind. I wanted to buy yarn to knit up some specific projects I've been craving ( Rowan 35's Audrey, the Apricot Jacket from Rebecca 27) but couldn't find something suitable. So I just decided to treat and get some yummy confections instead! I'm thinking a lacy, cobwebby scarf, but I haven't really decided yet. They have to live with me some more, and be petted and fondled until I'm sure what they want to be. This yarn is so soft, people!! Thanks so much, Secret Pal!!

Living in New Mexico, we don't really have much chance for green things, especially in the winter. At least I don't, because of my guilt. We are so short on water--Santa Fe has water shortages and bans on usage every summer and the bark beetles have killed almost all of the pinons in the Sandias 'cause of the drought. I just feel that no-one with a good conscience should water a lawn of non-native grass when that water could be used for real things--like drinking,or maybe food?! I'm sure our neighbors make fun of us with our half-dead, brown lawn, but I'd rather a brown lawn than no water in 10 years. So here's my ode to the only green thing in our yarn--the mystery bushes in the back--don't they look great against the red of the yarn?



1 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, March 01, 2005, Blogger littlehedgehog said...

Our house had a backyard with built in sprinklers when we first bought it but we've let the yard die out. We both feel the same way about having a lawn here - it's just silly. Thankfully the front is xeriscaped with volcanic rock so as long as we keep weeds pulled out there the neighbors don't seem to mind.

We've been getting some weird greenery growing in both the front and back this year. All this rain has brought up some interesting dormant plant life. Unfortunately we're starting to get something that looks a lot like grass growing through the volcanic rock in the front. No idea how we're gonna mow *that*!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home